Thursday, May 28, 2009

New LEGO stuff is OUT!

Just the other week I told JPX that late July would be the earliest these sets were available -- WRONG! A generous sampling of the new Space Police and Agents sets have suddenly blammed their way onto the Lego website and stores.

Which is making me downright sick because I am so broke right now, and work is thin on the ground. Today I went to the Glendale Lego store and got Squidman Escape (above). Fortunately I had a half-spent gift card and only had to shell out $1.99 in cash. The set is 5.99, and well worth it. Both minifigs are great; in terms of theme design, they've really knocked this one out of the park.

These sets are an excellent combo of reasonable price and show-offy minifig awesomeness. Freeze Ray Frenzy here is ten bucks.


Gold Heist has this adorable Space Police hover truck thing and a freakin' four-armed lizard alien.

Even as the sets get more elaborate, the prices don't get too crazy. Space Truck Getaway is the third biggest set of them all, and it's only 30 bucks. This set is a maybe for me, but the last two will definitely be coming home if I ever have any money again.

Likewise a couple of these Agents sets. I dislike the Agents' designs in this theme (although that new body armor piece is cool), but the villains are great. In Gold Tooth's Getaway you get a gold flat-top hairpiece, a gold baby T-Rex and all this other crap for only ten bucks!

I don't know if River Heist is a set worth getting, but check out those two villains, the bad guy with green Clone Wars Dooku hair and the bad girl with red Cate Blanchett from Crystal Skull hair. Those villains will be a Bricklink purchase in my future, at the very least.

Robo Attack is a big one at fifty clams, so I may cherry-pick this one as well. Particularly for that new dome piece and the hilarious civilian characters.

I don't know if these have hit the regular stores yet, but at least it won't be long until Ben runs ahead and finds some plastic gold. They're putting out some really great stuff this year. I've been meaning to post about it, but in the meantime check out this flickr collection of 2009 Toy Fair.

And if you want to check out the Lego website, go over to The Brothers Brick (my favorite Lego blog) and click from there. It helps them out.

Oh, by the way, I did a new census of my Lego minifigs. I counted a bunch of weirdoes, like R2 bodies, skeletons, Martians, Technic figures, Jack Stone figures, etc. The total?

One thousand, five hundred and fifty.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

Besides the stuff I posted, there are some cool new Castle sets and a couple City sets. Still no Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

JPX said...

WOW!!! I'm going to look this weekend, Ben is going to freak out over these. It seems like it has been a long time since there has been any new Lego product. This is a great post, I need to pour over it more carefully. I anticipate that Ben will eventually want all of those sets, which makes birthday and XMAS easy for me!

JPX said...

I picked up the $8 Space Police set today, good stuff!