Friday, December 31, 2010

New Star Wars figures?




Lately when I see pictures of new Star Wars figures I feel old. How are these "Star Wars"? I know they come from the universe of prequels and cartoons but my brain refuses to accept this idea. I don't recognize anything outside of the original trilogy as cannon and when I see figures like these it just feels weird to me. I'm pleased that Hasbro sort of "gets" that "new" Star Wars is off-putting to the older audience, which is why we're getting the new "vintage" line with old card-backs like this;



I admit that I feel a certain comfort level when I see racks of these vintage card-backs adjacent to the new "foreign" Star Wars figures. I picked up a couple for the great sculpting and because I'm a sucker for the old packaging. Sigh. I guess I have to accept that the Star Wars universe will forever include all the post-trilogy stuff. I don't have to like it though.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Which ones have you gotten? I was tempted by the Zuckuss (aka 4-LOM to everybody else) because that picture of him on the card is so cool. But I wasn't into the figure enough -- it didn't look superior to the first one they made (by which I mean post-1997 "first," not the very first one).

You're probably going to mention some I've never looked at closely. I think I let Zuckuss rep the whole line for me.

JPX said...

I picked up Boba Fett and the Gommorean Guard and Ben gave me a Wicket for XMAS. During the holiday season they were only $6 at Walmart (as opposed to $10.95 at tRU!)