Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Colorforms!



When we were kids my siblings and I would spend hours playing in our grandparent’s attic. They had a very large attic and it was chock full of toys and stuff that once belonged to my father and his siblings. I wish I had the foresight to grab up some of that stuff that has now been lost to time. At one point my grandmother hired some guy to come in and “clean” out her attic. I’m sure he was just tickled to find all this stuff that my grandmother regarded as “junk”.



One thing we played with was Colorform sets. I remember that there were a few different ones although I’m at a loss to recall any of them (Peanuts?). Colorforms were a fun diversion on a rainy day. Of course it’s possible that I’m remembering them nostalgically rather than accurately when it comes to their play value. I recently picked up the Welcome Back, Kotter Colorform set from The Toy Vault. I purchased it partially because of my memories in my grandparent’s attic and partially because I find any product related to Welcome Back, Kotter to be hilarious for some reason. I mean, what kid wants to play with the Sweathogs?

It turns out that Colorforms aren’t much fun. In fact, they lose their “stickiness” over time. Fortunately there is a way to revive them, check it out. I also have the Pee-Wee set pictured at the top of this post. It runs out that many, many properties were turned into Colorform sets. I’m trying to track down the KISS and Space 1999 sets.

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

I remember quite a bit of Colorform play from when I was a kid, but not one scrap of Colorform material survived. I suspect they actually belonged to my sister, who was not nearly as OCD as I was (still am) about saving her toys.

Looking back, the appeal of these is somewhat fuzzy, but I think Zack provides a clue in the way he deals with stickers. Zack doesn't really get stickers; he'll stick them on something but he immediately peels them off again because he wants to hold them. It seems like, to him, having a small cutout picture of something is as good as having a toy of it.

JPX said...

"It seems like, to him, having a small cutout picture of something is as good as having a toy of it." That's interesting! Perhaps the brain hasn't developped yet to be able to discern the difference? Maybe the brain only understands brain concepts at that age? The implication is that next Christmas all you have to give him is a bunch of pictures from toy catalogues!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Colorforms were before my time. To be honest I'm not really sure what to do.

Octopunk said...

You get a bunch of pictures printed on cut-out pieces of vinyl. These stuck to a laminated cardboard background, and also to each other. The cutouts would be the various characters in the franchise and objects they might have or wear. Since the cutouts stuck to each other you could, say, put the jacket on top of The Fonz or whatever.

So you could arrange and rearrange characters and elements in the pictures. My god that sounds boring when written out like that.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ah so, I remember now...